Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dorothy, Pharez, and Victoria and their mission to Lunga Lunga

Commissioning Dorothy, Pharez and Victoria for their three-day mission





(written by Dorothy)
On  Thursday, 28th of f November, we were given a special assignment by our school.  We were told to  spend the day in prayer, to find a partner, and to go with that person to the place that the Lord would send us.  As we prayed, I felt the Lord telling me to go to Lunga Lunga, a town near the border of Kenya and Tanzania.   I clearly felt the words “Police Station Lunga Lunga” entering my mind.   Two other ladies, Pharez and Victoria decided to join me in the mission.   Our teachers commissioned us, gave us a small amount of money, and sent us to Lunga Lunga. 


Victoria
Pharez

Dorothy (she usually looks happier than this photo)



Friday morning we boarded the matatu and left on the two and a half hour journey to Lunga Lunga.  When we reached the town I felt frustrated.  It looked much smaller than I had expected, and there didn’t seem to be a police station.  We inquired from the matatu tout if perhaps there was a bigger “Lunga Lunga” nearby.  He indicated that there was, so we agreed as a team to continue our journey.  Eventually, we ended up at the border of Tanzania and Kenya.   As we reached the border, I saw the sign “Police Station Lunga Lunga”.  I knew I was in the right place. 

I told my partners that I was going to see the police officer in charge of the station.  They didn't think this was a very good idea, and questioned me as to why I wanted to do this.  I insisted, and entered the police station.  I met the officer in charge, a woman.  When I told her why we were there, she told me courteously “Go preach to the Muslims over the border.”  I asked her what requirements were needed to cross the border, but she told me none were required.   I knew that the Lord was speaking to me through this lady, and that we needed to cross the border into Tanzania. 

So we boarded motorcycle taxis “boda bodas” and drove through the border zone towards Tanzania.  As our team traveled one of the motorcycle drivers prayed with us and gave his heart to the Lord.   
We entered Tanzania and found ourselves in a town called Hororo.  We began to walk through the town and prayer.  We did a little bit of “spiritual mapping”, as we investigated  the spiritual condition of the town.  We discovered that only three churches existed in the town, and that the dominant religion is Islam.  Afterwards, we found a place to rest for a few hours and some food to eat. 

Friday evening we went out for outreach.   The first people I encountered were two Masaai’s. As I spoke to them a young muslim man walked up to us and tried to disrupt our conversation by asking me when this Jesus I was preaching about was coming.  I answered him back by telling him that my Jesus spoke about his coming, and I am very sure of his coming.  Then I asked him about Nabbi Issa, (the Islamic name for Jesus) that the Koran says is coming to judge the earth.  The young man had no answer for me, and he sat down and began listening to the gospel.  After I finished, all three men prayed with me to receive Jesus Christ as their savior. 

After leaving these young men, we met a Muslim woman and her daughter in their home.  They welcomed us and gave us seats to sit on.  We presented the gospel to them, and they were deeply convicted by our words.  As we were about to pray for them, the daughter shouted at the mother, “What will Dad do when he finds out?”

 I told them that it was not an issue of their Dad, but for them.  We prayed together and they received Jesus Christ.   After praying, they told us about their father.  He was a well-known Islamic witchdoctor, whose powers were feared by many. 

The next day, I had an encounter with a Muslim man.  I shared with him about Jesus.  He told me that his wife goes to church together with his children.  His wife was formerly also a Muslim, but converted to Christianity.  The man admitted that since her conversion he has seen real transformation in their lives.   He told me that he truly believes that Jesus is the son of God, but that his time for salvation is not yet.  I asked him why, and he told me that he was frightened.  He had received several threats from Muslims because of his wife Fatima’s conversion to Christianity. 

The conversation broke my heart, because the man had such a desire to come to Christ, but he didn’t know where he would go after he converted.  He told me that Muslim converts fear going to church, because they are watched and monitored by other Muslims.  He suggested that I should organize a home fellowship where he and others could go and learn more about the gospel.  I tried once more to lead him to salvation, and once more he refused.  So I prayed for him and let. 

In total, our group prayed with 14 Muslims to receive Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, and 23 non Muslims during our 3-day mission.   There is such a hunger for the gospel here. 

The few churches in the area did not seem to be very strong.  As people came to the Lord, we tried to direct them to the churches, but they kept asking us if they could meet with us instead. 


I give God all the glory for opening this door for us, and my heart yearns to reach out into the harvest fields to bring in the harvest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment